The Power of Social Media!Posted: January 18, 2011
Social media on the Internet is a hot topic these days. It is in the news. It is the subject of whole books. And it used by millions worldwide. Lots of people love it, while others despise it. But social media is here to stay and is moving full speed ahead. Society has become electronically connected.
Interactive media appeals to many different kinds of people. However, there appears to be two specific groups who are using it. One group is young people between the ages of fifteen and thirty-five. They use Internet media for friendship, dating, music, videos, games, and photo sharing.
The other major group is business people between the ages of thirty and sixty. They have discovered that social media provides a successful and lucrative means of advertising and marketing. In addition to the standard forms of advertising, network media creates an added dimension that is interactive. Your audience is real and visible.
Connecting on the Internet is popular for many obvious reasons:
- It allows you to connect with many people, sometimes hundreds or thousands.
- It gives you information that you might not be able to access otherwise.
- It allows you to interact with others who are not local.
- It can be an emotional outlet.
- It can be a creative outlet.
- It is fast.
- It is fun.
- And best of all, it is free!
Some of the most popular sites are Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Craigslist. And there are hundreds more that each have a different focus. When choosing a site to utilize, consider the focus of your business and your target audience. Recognize how each site operates and who uses it in what way. Then decide what is best for your product or service.
Here are the steps for using social media to promote your business:
- Have a plan.
- Know who your audience is.
- Be the expert, use your know how.
- Provide answers and solutions.
- Make regular posts, at least once a day.
- Stay current and up-to-date.
- Focus on creating relationships, rather than on selling.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Use humor in a positive and constructive way.
- Be patient, it can take time to build your niche.